04 June, 2008

Pushing Northward

Hello to all!

To pick up where I left off, We were traveling across Canada! This drive was absolutely amazing. It was so very rewarding to me on so many levels...First off, this trip allowed me to remember some important times in my past. This happened not only because of the immense time at my disposal but also because of how much this drive reminded me of my family's travels to Colorado for vacation every year.
I recall, setting out every July from the gently rolling hills and medium grass prairie of northwestern Oklahoma, through the flat grounds of north Texas and New Mexico, then suddenly into the cool temperatures and high elevations of the mountains of Colorado! This road trip seemed to be a large version of these past trips. I set out from the same driveway that I remember leaving from on so many summers before; then hit the flat ground and short prairies of Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Saskatchewan, and Alberta; suddenly we hit the mountain terrain of British Columbia with awe inspiring views and many encounters with wildlife ranging from bear to moose (it was at this point when I really dwelt on how this trip paralleled my vacations of past). Then out of nowhere came the stellar beauty that is Alaska. You would think that there would not be much difference between BC and Alaska...but there is. It is absolutely unexplainable the beauty that is here.
There were also other thoughts that came from my memories of these past vacations...first off the excitement that I felt in preparation. Second, the sense of love that I felt from these trips. It never failed every vacation we took held in it a great many of arguments and confrontations between family members...still never did we stay that way...we always grew closer than we were before we left. These thoughts too, paralleled this trip. There was excitement...excitement about the convey, about the summer, about growing nearer God, about seeing Him more clearly, about making friendships that are actually brotherhoods. And, there were also confrontations...stepped on toes, escalation of moods and words...but through it all there was love. And now we have been here for a week...those of us that traveled together are still closer.

There is something truly awesome about a group of believers striving to see His perspective and live out His path in our lives. To be surrounded by such a cloud of witness. It is beautiful. I will be uploading some pictures I have taken so far. Many are beautiful, but know that there are many times that I have been unable to take a physical picture because of the setting. Instead I took pictures with my heart. My favorite picture of the entire trip so far is one such picture. It was the group of us (those in the convey) at the Alaskan line, after 70 hours driving and over 3000 miles traveled together, we got out circled up (all 23 of us) and prayed. It was the one of the greatest feelings I have felt. To see each persons heart. To lift those hearts up humbly, full of passion and excitement, full of love.

No comments: